Thursday, August 20, 2009

21st Aug : A day of Commemorations



Today 21 August is a day I always remember for two things. First is because of a reason I share with the entire Filipino People – Ninoy’s Assassination which is also declared a holiday for the entire country. Second is something I shared will all my classmates in college, and colleagues, my alma mater STI’s Foundation Anniversary..
August 21 is a relevant date for Filipinos, because during this day, the nation commemorates the sacrifice of Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino, Jr. This year marks the 26th anniversary of Ninoy Aquino's assassination back in August 21, 1983 when he was shot in the head upon returning to Philippine soil amidst heated political turmoil.Although, the results of the case remain in questionable shadows, the Filipino people is sure of one thing - that Ninoy, as the hero he is, died for a worthy cause - the freedom and democracy of the Filipino people. As his famous quotable line today remains with his memory:
"The Filipino is worth dying for."
"To commemorate the 26th Anniversary of the assassination of Ninoy Aquino and to honor the memory of President Cory Aquino, the Benigno S. Aquino Jr. Foundation is declaring August 21, 2009 as “Araw ng Dilaw”. This Friday, every freedom-loving Filipino is urged to wear something yellow. We ask everyone to light a candle as a way of keeping the spirit of Ninoy and Cory alive and of reciprocating their love for the Filipino people. Motorists are likewise encouraged to turn on their hazard lights from 6pm to 7pm as a sign that the Yellow Spark has been ignited in their hearts. "
August 21 is Ninoy Aquino Day and is observed as a public holiday in the Philippines.

STI Days..

August was the busiest months for all STI people, but celebration always falls and is always observed on the 21st.


Back when I was still a student, every year we would have an educational field trip. It was the most fun of all the days in a year. A whole day of competition and learning outside the campus. I still remember back then that programs were cascaded from center to center (branch to branch).





My Alma Mater: STI Southwoods


There are various games and competitions.Theres a search for Mr and Ms STI, theres a dance group contest, theres a singing contest, website development contest. For me I joined the Quiz Competition. When I was in second year, the college dean invited me to Join Tagisan ng Talino, I was the youngest that time in a group of 3 as my team mates were all seniors. It was a very challenging but very rewarding at the same time. I cut my classes for a month long review, Luckily we won the cluster competition and was qualified for Nationals. I was in charge or programming and concepts. The very same thing happened the following year and the following year. The only difference was.. The last time I was the senior one and my team mates are all seniors too. For 3 straight years I always come home to Southwoods with a trophy. :)

After graduation and after working for a few companies some time, I rejoined STI again, this time as one of Staff not a student, and as a person who had the most experience in the competition I get to be involved with Tagisan ng Talino again, not as delegate, but as a coach. I get to choose the best students. Jason and Bernard whom i picked amongst all the student i handled from First to fifth year. And for the 4th time.. I Came home to Southwoods with another trophy huray huray!



Last night review before competition: At Waltermart Carmona : Jason, Aby, JC, Bernard, Me, Abe .. Tagisan Team and Web Dev Team :)



Tagisan : The stage at Tanghalang Carlos P. Romulo in RCBC Tower Makati


Team Southwoods :Bern, Me, Jason, while waiting for official openning of the competition


Tambay lang sa RCBC di pa open ang Auditorium Eh


I miss STI days.. if there’s one thing I proven true that is “A teacher has the most fun and most rewarding Job EVER!”

kulitan sa faculty : wala lang :) excuse me hindi kami lahat bading..

No comments:

Post a Comment